This course is designed for the DB2 LUW development professional who desires to understand the fundamental issues associated with performance for DB2 SQL applications. Emphasis is placed on understanding optimization and the many access paths chosen by the optimizer. Performance related issues in the areas of database design, indexing, application SQL coding, and data statistics will be addressed. Much of the class will be in workshops where the students write queries, execute DB2 Explains, and perform analysis on the information.
Application Architects, analysts, developers and DBAs involved in the development and support of DB2 LUW/SQL applications.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to understand:
- Why the optimizer chooses certain access paths
- That the way they structure their SQL queries has a huge impact on optimization
- How data statistics play a part in optimization
- How to use and analyze the DB2 Explain tool
- What to do with both Table space scans and Index scans
- How both the logical and physical design plays a part in optimization
A basic understanding of SQL development and optimization is helpful.