In this JQuery training class, attendees learn to tap into the power of the freely-available jQuery library to simplify nearly any client-side scripting task. Attendees will learn how to write jQuery selectors to round up sets of DOM elements, how to use jQuery's many wrapped set methods to manipulate DOM elements, how to use the jQuery event model to set up event listeners and callback functions, how to manage Ajax requests with jQuery and how to extend jQuery with utility function and wrapped set method plugins.
This course has been updated for jQuery 1.4.2.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will:
- Learn to incorporate the most recent version of jQuery into Web pages.
- Learn to perform DOM manipulations using jQuery selectors and wrapped set methods.
- Learn to initiate Ajax requests with jQuery and how to handle responses in plain text, HTML and XML formats.
- Learn to author plugins that extend jQuery's native functionality.
I. Getting Started with jQuery
- Using jQuery with Other Libraries
- Starting Processing When the DOM Tree is Ready
- jQuery Utility Functions
II. Forming Wrapped Sets with jQuery Selectors
- CSS Selectors
- Hierarchical Selectors
- Basic Filters
- Content Filters
- Visibility Filters
- Attribute Filters
- Child-Specific Filters
- Form Element Filters
- Additional Wrapped Set Methods
III. Event-Driven Programming with jQuery
- Event Helpers
- Interaction Helpers: toggle() and hover()
- jQuery Event Objects
- jQuery Live Events
IV. jQuery and Ajax
- The load() Wrapped Set Method
- Basic Ajax Requests with $.get() and $.post()
- $.getJSON() and $.get Script()
- Exercising Complete Control with $.ajax()
- Global Ajax Events
- Ajax Helper Methods
V. Overview of jQuery Plugin Development (time permitting)
- Best Practices
- Utility Function Plugins
- Wrapped Set Method Plugins
- Providing Default Argument Values
Experience in the following areas is required: