A three day workshop for project managers who have experienced the fundamental tools and techniques and would like to progress to higher levels of understanding. The workshop addresses some of the people and control issues not usually covered in basic project management training. The finer aspects of understanding people and communicating. Working with virtual teams and offshore teams. Additional control tools to deals with special situations. These are the subjects covered in this workshop.
Anyone involved in managing projects, who has some experience using the basic skills, tools and techniques. This includes project managers, project leaders, program managers, and project sponsors
After successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Expand project management skills beyond the basic tools and techniques.
- Improve ability to manage expectations.
- Improve understanding and handling of project politics
- Provide a range of additional tools for dealing with special situations such as virtual teams, offshore teams, resource allocation, and performance measurement.
Part One: Setting the Stage
- A Review of the Basics
- The Enhanced Project Startup
Part Two: Managing the Project People
- Communicating with Team Members
- Managing Virtual Teams
- Project Politics
- Stakeholder Management
- Change Leadership
- Leading The Team
Part Three: Effective Project Control
- Establishing Project Metrics
- Monitoring Performance and Quality
- What is quality?
- Using the Earned Value Technique
- Using the Critical Chain Technique
- Discussion, Summary and Wrap Up