DESCRIPTION (Return to Top)
This course is designed for application programmers requiring a detailed understanding of IMS database processing.
AUDIENCE (Return to Top)
Application programming personnel.
OBJECTIVES (Return to Top)
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Code programs utilizing efficient retrieval, replace, delete and insert calls to IMS databases
- Design, code and test restartable programs using symbolic checkpoint/restart and GSAM databases
TOPICS (Return to Top)
- Hierarchical Structures and Associated Terminology
- Coding of Call Functions, PCBs, I/O Areas, SSAs, Entry Statement
- Status Code Checking
- Testing with BTS
- Sequential vs. Random Processing
- Parentage, Command Codes and Boolean SSAs
- Database Positioning
- Secondary Indexes
- IMS Access Methods (including GSAM)
- IMS JCL Requirements (BMP vs. DLI Batch)
PREREQUISITES (Return to Top)
COBOL or PL/I, TSO, JCL, IMS Concepts.