This course was designed for people who will be new to CICS system administration. It will also be profitable for anyone who will have to define and/or support CICS systems
The “CICS for System Programmers” is geared towards technical staff new to the CICS environment. In this course, the participant will learn how a CICS system is put together: resource definitions, system utilities both online and offline, System Initialization tables, CICS JCL, system datasets are subjects covered in depth in this course. We also discuss CICS storage management, CICS communications and CICS customization. At the end of this class, the attendee will have been exposed to almost everything that goes on in a CICS address space. The material is current to CICS TS V5.2.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Define CICS resources with the proper attributes
- Code MVS/JCL required to guaranty proper CICS initialization
- Properly use the necessary CICS utilities to perform their duties
- Properly make use of CICS online function to monitor and manage CICS systems
- The course will also allow the participant to build a CICS address space from scratch
- Understand System Initialization Table
- Provide an overview of the major facilities available in CICS
- Describe the various ways one can customize a CICS system
Some knowledge of TSO/ISPF will help during some exercises; the student will be preparing and submitting a CICS address space from scratch so some JCL expertise will most definitely be an asset. Although not essential, some programming experience will be helpful to successfully complete the debugging exercises.