Application programmers who want to learn more COBOL.
This course provides application developers with more complex knowledge in developing COBOL programs in a mainframe environment. Time is spent in more difficult programming workshops using both VSAM and sequential file processing, 2 dimensional arrays, internal sorting, COBOL sub programs and intrinsic functions. Much of the time is spent on hands on workshops writing and testing programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Understand the principles and practices of coding with VSAM vs Sequential files
- Code for VSAM using both primary key and alternate key processing
- Code for 1 and 2 dimensional array processing
- Understand variable length file processing
- Code for many of the COBOL intrinsic functions
- Code for COBOL subprograms
- Understand COBOL internal sort processing
- Coding for variable length records
Students MUST be familiar with z/OS JCL, TSO/ISPF and z/OS Utilities and a programming background is preferred. Students MUST have taken CO1010 course, Introduction to COBOL Programming or have comparable experience.